What muscles can be pumped up by push-ups. How to do the exercise. The main mistakes in technology. Variations of performance technique.
Going to the gym, many athletes completely forget about such a simple and effective exercise as push-ups. This is a big mistake. As experience shows, push-ups are the basis for building the main muscle groups of the arms and chest. So the inclusion of push-ups in the training program is mandatory. The only question is how to properly push up on the floor, and what mistakes are best avoided.
What is the use?
To begin with, we will deal with the benefits of such training. Here are some key points. So, with the help of push-ups, you can pump the torso well. In particular, the chest, triceps, biceps, back, deltas, and front dentition muscles get an excellent load.
Regularly performing push-ups, you can accelerate the overall growth of muscles, achieve greater endurance. It should be noted that the exercise is excellent for representatives of all directions (without exception). And for the general development of the body push-ups – that’s it.
Before you consider the basic rules for performing exercises, pay attention to errors. It is no secret that it is precisely because of the incorrect position of the body and arms that many do not achieve results and are quickly disappointed in such effective exercises. The following common mistakes are worth highlighting here:
- Breeding elbows. If you rise above the athlete and look at him from above, then the shoulders and torso can form a T-shape. This option is acceptable, but not desirable, because too much load falls on the shoulder cuff. Serious injuries can result. Therefore, the elbows should be kept as close as possible to the body (except when the pectoral muscles are being worked out).
- Sagging (bulging) of the femoral part. Many athletes, when doing push-ups, begin to lift up or, conversely, lower their hips. If you look from the side, then in the middle part a small hole or a hill is formed. This is the wrong approach. The body should be stretched in one line when performing the entire exercise. To realize this is very simple – just tighten the gluteal region, and the body will no longer bend.
- Gravity It is important to understand that gravity should not be pulled to the floor, as is usually the case, but a smooth relaxation of the muscles of the arm. This means that you must “allow” the body to fall, completely feeling your hands. Remember this rule when doing the exercise. By concentrating additional energy, you facilitate the process of repulsion from the floor.
- Excessive strain on the wrists. Frequent push-ups are good, but wrists can begin to hurt due to the increased load. The reason is the incorrect bending of the limbs, giving them an erroneous position. Therefore, before doing each approach, do a little workout. In this way, you prepare your muscles for a load.
- Simplified push ups. Many refuse such an effective exercise, due to lack of strength to complete it in full. But this is no excuse. There are good options for pushing up with relief for certain muscle groups. For example, to achieve the necessary strength in the hands, you can train while kneeling. Over time, you can decide on the full version.
Now we can move on to the key question of our article – how to do push-ups off the floor. The main recommendations look like this. Take a standard position with an emphasis lying down. It is desirable that the surface of the floor be flat and comfortable enough for the setting of the hands. Place your hands somewhere on the same level with your shoulders, socks rest on the floor and are the width of the pelvic part. Release air and lower your body with the power of your hands. Try to feel your body – it should be perfectly flat throughout the approach. When releasing air, lift the torso to its original position.
The big mistake of many athletes is the use of a single exercise. In fact, to improve the effectiveness of training, you need to try various options for execution and try to experiment. Experienced athletes claim that today there are more than 50 different variations. And despite the fact that many of us know only 2-3.
To diversify the training process a bit, consider some options for doing push-ups:
- Lightweight way. As already mentioned, with a lack of experience and muscle weakness, exercises can be simplified. There are several variations here:
- wall. In this case, you need to stand near the wall at a distance of about 0.5 meters, take the stop with your hands, raise your heels. Then release air and begin to bend your arms at the elbow joints, gradually approaching the wall. When releasing air from the chest, return to the original position;
- bench. It is no secret that if you put your feet on the floor, and hands on any height, the process of push-ups from the floor is greatly simplified. In this case, the load can be adjusted independently, increasing or decreasing the height of the stand;
- focus on your knees. We have already considered this option above. All that is required is to focus not on the toes, but on the knees.
- Weighted options. For more advanced athletes, exercises involving a serious load are more suitable. These include:
- push ups on the fists. The main difficulty of this exercise is reduced support and the need to adjust the position of the body. In addition, there is an additional load on the knuckles, which is an excellent training for fighters;
- finger pushups. In this case, the brushes take the form of a “half-wave” and the fingertips take the main load. Only a truly trained athlete can perform the exercise in such a variation;
- training on one arm. In this case, lowering and raising the torso is carried out on one arm. The second limb is on the back. The main difficulty is to coordinate your movements so as not to fall on one side all the time. Here, in order to maintain balance, it is desirable to place legs at a distance of 70-80 centimeters from each other;
- bench (lift). We have already considered this option above, but in reverse. Here it is necessary to act differently – to put on the lift, not arms, but legs. This option allows you to move gravity from one part of the body to another. As a result, more effort will be required to perform push-ups.
Remember that ignoring push-ups is not worth it. This is an excellent base for building a strong and sculpted body. It remains only to pay attention to the technique of execution and choose the suitable exercise option for yourself. At the same time, try to alternate the load so that the body does not have time to get used to it.
This post was originally published on Downey Magazine